New Feature: Keyword Spotting

Product Owner: Adam Hofman

What is Keyword Spotting? What data does it allow me to access that was previously unattainable?

Keyword Spotting is a feature that allows customers to create specific keyword sets that they want to flag in their calls. Before our conversation intelligence efforts and the creation of CallScribe, it was very hard to go through and listen to every single call. A lot of our clients would hire someone to go through and listen to every call and determine what was happening. CallScribe allowed them to go through and look at transcripts, but with keyword spotting it’s easy to select which specific keywords you want to listen for in a call and be able to display those in the app in a way that’s easy to understand… Additionally, you can get email notifications for calls that have specific keywords you choose, and are able to apply a CallScore to one of those calls. For example, if you have a keyword for someone opening an account such as, “scheduled an appointment” or “placed an order”, you can get notified via email and set a specific CallScore for calls that include those keywords. Keyword Spotting works by utilizing f our call tagging feature to make it easier to view which calls had those specific keywords in the Activity view.

How does CallRail’s conversation intelligence technology work to find keywords and phrases?

CallScribe uses machine learning to transcribe the phone call. Then we run a query to see if we can find the words or phrases the customer has set up with the keyword spotting feature. Afterward, we look for all the times those keywords or phrases happen, apply specific timestamps and the customer can click on that indication in the app and it will take them to the specific instance where it was used.

What level of customization is possible? How granular am I able to get with what keywords the feature will track?

Customers are able to get very granular with the feature. You can set up as many as 1,000 keywords. Customers can really dive into Keyword Spotting by setting a variety of keyword sets for different services they offer. If a company is selling car parts, they can have a keyword set for each specific car manufacturer or part and tag calls based on that. Then, at the end of the month they are able to see how many specific calls came in looking for a specific manufacturer or part. For a doctor’s office, you can look at the amount of people who had to reschedule an appointment versus who scheduled or canceled, and what those appointments were about. As I mentioned before, Keyword Spotting works off of our call tagging feature, so based on a certain keyword appearing, you can tag that call in a way that tells you exactly what happened on the call.

Am I able to pull this new data into my CRM?

With our Salesforce integration you can definitely pull data from Keyword Spotting. Because it works off of tags, you can do that with our integration triggers. For example, if you have an opportunity tag and it’s based off a certain keyword set that defines what an opportunity is for you, every time that keyword is spotted, using integration triggers you can have all the calls tagged “opportunity” sent to Salesforce.

How do I set this up? Is there an additional cost?

Set up is very easy. It’s part of our Intelligence tools when you go into settings in our app. Once you’re there, just type into the text box all the keywords you want to pay attention to. You can separate keywords into groups or even copy and paste a giant list of keywords. Then it’s as simple as pressing a button. Keyword Spotting is included with CallScribe, which is priced based on your plan.

How are you most excited to see customers utilize this feature, and what feedback are you looking for?

There are probably a lot of ways people will end up using it that we didn’t anticipate when we built it. I would love feedback in the form of use cases that help reveal how people are utilizing the feature. We can learn from these use cases, and go back and add that specific ability that would make our customers more successful. I would really like to see people use those keywords to gain more insight into what their customers are saying during the call so that they can make even more educated marketing decisions. Customers should be able to see exactly where their leads are coming from, what verticals are driving the most leads, and be able to pull more granular reports based on the keywords they’re spotting. I’m excited to know how people are using it and what’s helping them so we can use that feedback to help us make better product decisions in the future.