How to Create a Number for a Google Ad Extension

If you’re using a Google Ad Extension, you’ll want to create a tracking number in your CallRail account to stay on top of your customer data. Creating a tracking number for your Google Ad Extension will allow you to track customers that click on your desktop ads and directly call your business or customers that click on your call-only ads. The caller’s data will appear alongside your activity and reports in your CallRail account, arming your team with the key points they’ll need to take on these calls.

When you create your Google Ad Extension tracking number, we configure the number’s source to “offline” to prevent dynamic number insertion from swapping the number on your website. This helps you run separate campaigns, tracking calls from your website and tracking calls from your Google Ad Extension. This gives you the opportunity to break down your data appropriately and understand all of your channels. Calls to your ad extension number won’t report as conversions in AdWords.

But, if you’re looking to track your call-only or mobile ads, you should create a Google AdWords Mobile Click-to-Call tracking number instead.

How to Create a Google Ad Extension Tracking Number

First, navigate to the top right-hand side of your dashboard and select the company that you’d like to create the new tracking number for. Then click on the ‘Numbers’ (#) tab at the top left-hand side of the dashboard. Here, you’ll see all of that company’s active numbers.

Next, select ‘+ Add Phone Number’, located next to the search bar. Select ‘Yes, I’ll use it online’ since the number is for a web campaign. Then select ‘No, somewhere else’ since the number will be in your Google Ad and not on your website. Next you’ll choose ‘Yes, in an ad extension’ and then ‘No, in desktop ads too.’

Name your new tracking number for your data reports, and enter the destination number where you’d like your calls to route to. Then you’ll click ‘Next: Select a Phone Number.’

From here, you’ll choose a tracking number from the list of available numbers. If you want a different area code, click ‘Change Area Code’ and enter the preferred code. Then, click ‘Next: Other Options.’

Once you configure your whisper message and call recording, click ‘Activate Tracking Number.’ *

And, voila! You’ve created your new tracking number for your Google Ads.

*If you’re purchasing French, German, or Australian numbers, you’ll need to provide a local address. Enter the business address you’re purchasing the numbers for- it must be local to the tracking numbers you’re creating. This address will be saved for future numbers in the same area.

To Add Your Tracking Number to AdWords:

1. Log in and select Campaigns at the top of the page.

1. Select the Ad extensions tab.

1. Click the extensions drop-down and select View: Call extensions.

1. Add or edit your desktop campaigns to include your new CallRail tracking number.

1. To edit, select the add option, or replace the number currently in the call extension with the new CallRail number. Then select Make changes.

As always, feel free to let us know if you have questions! We’re happy to help.

@amber Sorry, I am a bit confused. You say “Calls to your ad extension number won’t report as conversions in AdWords. You’ll need to use keyword-level tracking to track those conversions.” From my understanding, keyword level tracking only applies to when someone clicks through to the website, correct? In other words, keyword level tracking is not a solution for measuring click to call conversions. Please let me know if that conclusion is correct.

As far as I can tell, the only way to use CallRail numbers for ad extensions and to have them report as conversions in AdWords is to:

1. Use your CallRail number as the destination number in your call extension in AdWords
  2. Enable Google forwarding so that AdWords can report the call as a conversion

Is this correct? Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your question! You are correct, we can only push calls as conversions via keyword level tracking, but that doesn’t solve the issue for ad extensions. The methods you outlined are the only way someone could push a CallRail call to an ad extension as a conversion into AdWords.

However, we typically advise against that because there can sometimes be a small delay in carrying the call because it has to go through both our carriers and Google’s carriers to the final destination. Thanks for bringing this up! I’ve edited my post slightly to hopefully make it a little more clear.

@amber Thank you for your clarification.

The number one most important thing in this situation is conversions. It is imperative that call conversions be counted in AdWords. This is because bidding strategies are based on conversions. AdWords has a great automatic bidding mechanism called “optimize for conversions,” but if you are not measuring conversions in AdWords that bidding strategy is not going to work very well! Therefore, given the choice of using CallRail or Google forwarding, the choice should be Google every time! Conversion measurement trumps all.

Maybe this should be posted elsewhere, but would it be possible or feasible for CallRail to export calls from ad extensions into Google Analytics so that we could import those conversions into AdWords? This would allow us to take advantage of CallRail’s great features without making the horrible, wretched mistake of not measuring call conversions in AdWords. I understand this would be a new feature, but I’m wondering if it is feasible.

I’m currently using the double forwarding solution that I mentioned in my first question, but I am questioning that.

I’d love this too - we don’t have Google Call Forwarding in NZ.
Is there no way we can track calls into AdWords (via Ad Extensions)? I may miss out on a lot of conversions in my client reports. I don’t really want to give them access to CallRail directly as for a lot of my clients it would lead to too many questions and wasted time for me.

I don’t currently use Data Studio for Data Reporting.

I’m sure my current supplier tracked these but I need to move away from them.

Right now, the technical limitation we have with Google that makes this feature request difficult to move forward with has to do with GCLID’s. We have to have a GCLID to send a phone calls as conversions into AdWords, and since ad extensions do not click-through to the site and receive a GCLID, this is not possible for us to build today (you can learn more about that here: Why do source numbers not push to AdWords?).

The double forwarding method is really the only way to push those Ad Extensions calls into AdWords as conversions. We typically err on the side of caution when proposing customers layer Google forwarding on top of CallRail due to technical issues some of our other customers have experienced. But, we typically only hear about these types of delays with customers that have advanced phone setups on their end.

We just like to remind all users when we’re proposing this solution. For standard call forwarding it shouldn’t be a huge issue, and for the sake of transparency we actually use the double forwarding method internally. I hope this helps! Be sure to check our Feature Request sections to suggest other ideas you may have.