GCLID for Call Extension calls?

Does anyone know how to capture a GCLID for Adwords call extension phone calls? Is it possible using the API?

We get about 60% of our phone call leads from Adwords click to call extensions and without a GCLID we have no way of attributing the revenue generated from that specific call back to the specific campaign/ad group/keyword etc.

Does anyone know if this is possible or is there some other workaround so that we can import revenue from call extension calls back into Google Adwords or Analytics?

Hi James - GCLIDs are only generated when a user clicks a link in an ad, so GCLIDs are not generated for calls that come from an ad extension number.

You can however capture keyword data, inclusive of GCLIDs, for calls that occur on your website from a keyword pool. The keyword pool will read the URL of a visitor to your website and associate any data in the URL (inclusive of GCLID) with the call and then pass that conversion over to AdWords. This is also possible through our API.

If you do want to use a Click-to-Call number, you can activate our AdWords Mobile Click-to-Call Integration - with this, you are able to create a single number that goes specifically in C2C campaigns. Every 10 minutes or so, we request the keywords that you bid on and associate them with the calls in CallRail.

I hope that helps - let me know if you have any additional questions!

Hey James, I happened to run across this post even though it’s a little old. Fiona is right that call extensions don’t use GCLID parameters because they aren’t sending the visitor to a page. However, if your call volume isn’t incredibly high, you could use AdWords metrics to manually match call times in AdWords with call times in CallRail and pretty much associate calls with revenue. Also, I think the call extensions give you 3-6 of the 10 numbers numbers of the caller ID which you could match with CallRail tracking IDs.

This probably breaks down if you’re getting a high volume of calls, but caller ID is more or less tracked in AdWords and is tracked in CallRail.

Hi Adam,

The issue for us is that our sale happens offline, usually days or weeks
after the phone call. Also we are getting about 5k calls a month so that
does make things difficult.

The other issue we face is the number the customer gives us to put in our
CRM during a sale may be different than the number they originally called
in on. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

That’s a tricky situation. I’m out of ideas :slight_smile:

Hi @jamesscaggs - There is a potential workaround you could use in this scenario, but CallRail can’t guarantee it. DISCLAIMER: In the event something like this breaks, our support team won’t be able to help resolve this - so if you decide to use it, please take that into consideration.

To count a conversion for a call to an Adwords extension, you’d have the number forwarding as such -

1 - Create a CallRail Tracking number. This number won’t be placed anywhere. It will simply be a forwarding destination for our Google Voice number. Make sure that this CallRail number is pointing to the correct destination number.

2 - Create a Google Voice number for the extension. When doing so, you’ll want to make sure call reporting is enabled. This number will forward to the CallRail tracking number we just created previously.

The flow of calls should now be:

Google Voice Number >>> CallRail Tracking Number >>> Destination Number

By passing the call through the Google Voice number, Google is able to collect a conversion. By forwarding the number through CallRail, we’re able to track the call and potentially record it.

Please note, in Callrail, all these calls will look like they are from one number (the GV number). Additionally, there will be delays that come with passing a call this many times.

Hopefully this provides some further clarity on options for what you’re trying to do, as well as the risks involved. Let me know if you have further questions and I’ll do my best to help!

James @jamesscaggs ,

I’m having the same problem - attributing revenue backs to calls from generated through call extensions. Have you found a solution? I’d appreciate any insight you’ve already discovered!

Thanks,
Adam

@jamesscaggs @AdamArkfeld @adam Thank you all for your questions and feedback about our Google Ads Mobile Click-to-Call integration. Our product team just shipped an update that I think you’ll both be happy to hear about: our integration now has the ability to send calls tracked in CallRail from mobile click-to-call ads as conversions in Google Ads!

You can activate this setting by navigating to the Google Ads Mobile Click-to-Call integration setup page, and checking the box that says “I’d like to receive conversions for mobile calls” (pictured below).

The only caveat here is if you’re currently using the Google Call Tracking workaround Kate mentioned above, you’ll want to deactivate that before checking the box or else you’ll experience some double-counting of conversions. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi @madelyn, thanks for the update.

I have a clarification question.

We have created a number in Callrail for our call extensions. When the clicks on the call extension Callrail sends an event to Google Analytics and we are importing our goals from Google Analytics into Google Ads.

I was originally under the impression that those calls would be showing up as conversions in Google Ads b/c we’re importing them from Analytics but it sounds like they weren’t because there was no gclid associated with the event and therefore no way to attribute it correctly in Google Ads.

If that all sounds accurate then does this new feature solve that problem?

I had the exact same thoughts. I’m assuming the new feature removes all discrepancies.

@jamesscaggs @AdamArkfeld You’re correct in your initial assumption - although we send every call to Google Analytics, and you can track them as goal completions inside of Google Analytics, they will not be pushed as conversions in Google Ads without a GCLID.

This update to our Google Mobile Click-to-Call integration solves this problem. Once activated, you should see the conversions in Google Ads for your call extensions match the count of calls you see to that number in CallRail.

Hi @madelyn, thanks for the update. I have some questions about this new integration:

1. In Google Ads, does this integration report conversions through manually imported clicks/API/Google Analytics/something else entirely?

2. In Google Ads, under which conversion action will I be seeing these conversions?

3. What additional information will this integration start sending to Google Analytics or Google Ads, if any?

4. In Google Ads, currently I’m placing the same C2C number on 2 different extensions, tied to separate call conversion actions (one for brand campaign and one for all others). From what I read, I don’t see how I can retain a similar setup. A more detailed support page, possibly with examples, could shed some light on this.

5. Can we opt out of this after Aug 15, but retain our current C2C integration? Or can we only opt out via deleting our C2C integration completely, and using an “offline” number with Google’s conversion tracking?

Thanks!

@suleyman.okan Happy to provide some answers to your questions:

1. This integration reports conversions directly to Google Ads via the Google Ads API.

2. This conversions will show up under the “Phone Call” conversion action, with the source showing “Import from Clicks”. This is the same conversion action you’ll see if you’re using our standard Google Ads integration.

3. This integration will just be sending call conversions, but they will report at the campaign, ad group, ad, and keyword levels. No other information (such as call recordings, caller ID names, etc.) will be sent over.

4. You are correct in that you’ll need to update your setup slightly. You’ll need to create a seperate number inside of CallRail for each extension. But, you can assign the same CallRail number or extension to multiple campaigns, and still get the granular reporting (brand vs. non-brand) you’re looking for.

5. You will not be able to opt-out of this reporting after August 15th. The only way to “opt-out” of the new reporting would be to turn off our Google Ads Mobile Click-to-Call integration, and use an offline source number with Google conversion tracking. I know our Product Team would love to learn more about what you’re getting out of Google’s call reporting that you prefer to this setup, so please feel free to send me or @Laura a private message with any feedback.

The mobile click to call integration is for call-only campaigns, or for mobile campaigns with only a mobile call extension.

If you are using other standard campaign types, you can look at the following in Google Ads:

• “Phone Call” conversion action to see how many calls from the website your campaigns drove
    - Source = “import from clicks” - comes from CallRail integration
  • “Calls from Ads” conversion action to see how many calls from ad extensions your campaigns drove
    -Source = “calls from ads” - comes from Google Ads automatic conversion actions

Those two numbers combined should be about equal to your total Google Ads call volume as seen in CallRail. Slight differences can occur due to attribution and unique call counting differences.

**If you are using the CallRail and Google Ads integration, do not import your phone call goal from Google Analytics into Google Ads or you will be double counting website calls.

Thank you for the detailed explanations.

@Morgan_Jarvis Although we knew what C2C numbers were designed for, in our case, there was no real reason not to use them for all Google Ads assets. I could just insert them to all campaign types and couple them with Google tracking and all would work as expected.

Now there’s actually a solid reason to separate the C2C numbers from all Google Ads call extension numbers, because if we don’t we will either not be able to count some call conversion types (for example on desktop with Google tracking off), or count some twice (on mobile with Google on).

Since our particular use of CallRail C2C numbers was not by the book, this is more understandable. The other inconvenience here is that the C2C conversions are now going to be merged with all manual conversions CallRail is reporting to Google Ads (per @madelyn 's response to my question #2). Now, in order to use C2C functionality, we would have to use CallRail’s conversion action to count all CallRail conversion types, whereas previously we imported these from Analytics defined as 2 goals (1st time and repeat calls).

I can think of workarounds, but they are not very pretty: Import all conversions from CR (because they are all one feed), count them once, import repeat calls only from GA. Two sources will mean different way of timing the conversions, which will increase data inconsistencies.

So for our agency that’s 3 extra steps:
1- Create separate numbers for brand and product campaigns (added CR cost and effort) [EDIT: In fact, this is now unachievable as all CR numbers report to one conversion only]
2- Create new numbers for C2C and other Google Ads use, this time used as intended (added CR cost and effort)
3- Create new conversion types to value 1st and repeat calls separately (added effort and slight data inconsistency)

And all of this is to maintain our current setup across several clients, so there’s no real added value. That is why an opt-out button would be rather convenient.

Hi @Morgan_Jarvis could you clarify what you mean by “mobile campaigns”, please. Do you mean that Mobile Click to Call integration is only available for campaigns with a -100% bid adjustment on Computer Devices?

Hi @dianagro,

Yes - the Mobile Click to Call integration only works on mobile calls. On computers, users type in the phone number rather than clicking it directly so there is no way to tie back to the GCLID. Because of this, the integration would only provide full info on call-only campaigns (as these only serve on mobile devices) or on campaigns that have a -100% bid adjustment on Computer Devices.

If I am mistaken on any aspects here, someone from CallRail feel free to correct me but that is my understanding. :slight_smile:

Hi @madelyn @Morgan_Jarvis,

Does the new mobile CTC integration collect a GCLID for calls from call extensions? I know previously it wasn’t assigned, but it would be fantastic if that feature was part of the update.

We use the Salesforce integration in both Google Ads and CallRail, and everything works great for form submissions and calls from the website. Call extensions are the last frontier!